1956 CHEVY NOMAD PART 4

BY: Gerhard van Vuuren

Edition 66

Well, we are at the end of this build where I do the final assembly and add the final individualising touches to the model.

Engine, exhaust and suspension

First of all, I epoxied the motor securely into place (Fig 1) after drilling 0.8mm holes in the ends of the Corvette headers.  The holes were drilled as part of the process to extend the headers to reach the stock exhaust pipes as the Vette headers had short header pipes and the original 56’s headers had long ones and I really wanted to use the stock 56 dual exhausts. Next, I cut two header extensions from plastic rod the same diameter as the exhaust pipes and drilled 0.8mm holes in both ends of the extensions. I then super-glued pieces of 0.8mm wire into the holes on both ends of the extensions to serve as locator pins for a strong joint. The extensions were then super-glued into the holes in the headers (Fig 2).

Next, I temporarily fitted the exhausts to the chassis, bent the extensions into place and trimmed the front of each exhaust to length to fit the new extensions. Once done, I drilled a 0.8mm hole in each exhaust as well to fit over the pins in the ends of the extensions. After painting the exhaust pipes and extensions flat aluminium, I permanently glued the pipes to the extensions with super-glue and the pipes to the chassis. I then installed the rest of the rear suspension, shocks and prop shaft. The end result can be seen in Fig 3. After everything had completely dried, I took the 18inch American Racing 5 spoke rims and tyres that I had pinched from the Revell 63 Corvette Roadster and drilled out the axle bosses on the wheels in order to fit them on the axle stubs of the Nomad. I epoxied them into place and test fitted the chassis into the body to get an idea of what the Nomad will look like (Fig 4) and it did not look too shabby at all!

Firewall detail

I added some basic detail to the firewall by wiring the battery and plumbing the brake master cylinder. Before painting the battery, I drilled a 0.5mm hole in the end of each terminal. I then painted the battery semi-gloss black and picked out the terminals in metallic grey and the filler caps in yellow. I used the point of a toothpick dipped in the paint to do this fine detail painting. I then glued two lengths of black and red wrapping wire into the holes in the terminals to simulate the battery cables. I drilled a 0.5mm hole into the master cylinder and super-glued a length of electronic solder into the hole to simulate the brake hard line. I then painted the master cylinder metallic grey, and glued both the battery and master cylinder into their respective locating slots in the firewall (Fig 5).

Final bodywork

Now the finishing touch came for the body. I had some custom SA Hot Rods logo decals made by a friend which I applied to the side panels of the Nomad. After the decals had dried, I sealed them with some Tamiya TS13 Clear gloss and epoxied them in place. Next, I epoxied the windscreen, ¼ windows and rear window in place. After everything had dried, I gave the body a final waxing with some model wax and then epoxied the interior into place in the body and then the body onto the chassis. Now that that was done, I glued the radiator firewall with the Vette radiator into its locating slots in the inner fenders and hooked up the radiator hoses to the radiator. Lastly I epoxied the Plenum onto the runners of the TPI manifold and added the throttle body and cone filter. In Fig 6 you can see the final result of all this work.

Adding the blingy bits

With the car now 90% complete, I proceeded with the final trim bits. I fitted the delicate chrome door handles after drilling small holes in them and in the locations on the doors. I then super-glued short lengths of thin wire into the holes to serve as positive locators and glued them into place with super-glue. I glued the front and rear bumpers, hood ornament, grille and front and rear bezels in place, again using 5 minute epoxy. I then added the various light lenses, using Clear Enamel, applied with a small paintbrush, as glue to keep them in place. Now everything was there with only one thing left….the license plates. After chatting with the editor and his wife, I created custom license plates for the Nomad on www.autoplates.com . Joe’s favourite USA state is Texas, so I created some Texas plates with the legend SAHR 56 on them (Fig 7). I printed them out on a colour printer, carefully cut them out and trimmed them and then glued them to the license plate holders with some craft glue. The finished plates were then epoxied to the bumpers. The build was now completed as can be seen in Figures 8910 and 11.

I hope you guys enjoyed the build.